Monday, January 28, 2013

Next on the list

I really need to get it together with some photography.  I have a couple finished/nearly finished sewing projects that I wouldn't mind sharing with some of the online world.  However, I'm more interested in the process of adding new techniques to my repertoire and possibly a new machine to my table.

This weekend I finished up a pullover lounge hoodie thing in an homage to green lanterns uniform.  Its dark blue and dark gray with a general superheroic sort of design on the front, back and sleeves.  I'd put it at about 80%.  There are a couple flaws: a spot where the fabric folded a bit on the top-stitch and this stuff is NOT forgiving if you try to undo stretch stitching.  Also, one shoulder seam is misaligned by about a half-inch on the front, the other shoulder misaligned on the back, still a mistake but less noticeable.

Any new machine I get will need a couple of seam & flat feller feet (foots?) and a buttonholer.  I am in serious need of a buttonholer and better seam/hem making.  I have a shirt/jacket thing that needs a bakers dozen buttonholes that I just cannot bring myself to do by hand.  I made a vest with four buttonholes by hand and they turned out nicely, but 13 holes just seems too hard to get started on.  Now if I had a Singer 301/a, like the ones I have been tracking on Ebay, with the buttonhole accessory...oh buddy, look out!

I'm getting mildly better at hems/seams by hand, but they are time consuming and a bit fiddly.  There is always going to be a bit of extra effort needed to produce a garment that I will wear out in public, but at the same time I dont really want to spend half of the construction effort of a shirt on the buttonholes and seams.  Those are supposed to be details, not main points (or roadblocks) to construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment