Tuesday, February 12, 2013

McCalls M6613

My first work-in-progress post. Woot!

This is a muslin for a shirt I am working on using McCalls M6613 sewing pattern.  I'll probably modify it slightly to suit me better and I've got this cross posted to a sewing forum to get construction/fit tips.  The end shirt will be basic black with royal blue highlights.  I'm going to at least do the inner yoke and collar lining in the blue and there is a version with the little tabs that fold up and button when your sleeves are rolled up.  So, probably those in blue as well.  Also, I think I will keep the mandarin collar.  The pattern has a standard fold down design, which is nice, however, I have always liked the banded collar look.




I already have a list of things to fix on the pattern before I work on the final draft.
-The cuffs are two different sizes due to a folding issue.  Note to self: Your eyeballs are not nearly as calibrated as you think, use a friggin ruler.
-I need to figure out how to shrink the collar about an inch all the way around to get that fitting correctly.
-There is a little puckering at the armscye which should clean up if I do a bit more ironing during the construction stages and take a bit more care with the pinning steps.

I have David Page Coffins book on shirt-making which I will be referencing quite a great deal over the next week or so.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment