Friday, February 15, 2013

McCalls M6613 - 2

Ok, back to work on McCalls M6613.  I spent yesterday afternoon copying and tweaking the pattern based on the results of my muslin.  I'm going to be making the main shirt in black with a royal blue contrast fabric for details like the inside collar, inside yoke, and possibly the sleeve button tabs.  Just a few bits and pieces of color to keep it from being solid black.  I have all the pieces cut and ready to start sewing.

Plus, I have enough leftover of each color to start considering what to do for my next shirt.  After I complete this project I might be able to do up a second short-sleeve version.  We shall see.

Sewing reminds me a bit of cooking.  Most anybody can follow a basic recipe and get a basic result.  If you drop some flour, baking powder, yeas, and water into a bowl, mix and apply heat, you will get bread.  Now, will it be the nice fluffy consistency of store bought bread...no.  Will it be a tasty muffin or croissant?  Nope.  Same with sewing.  If you follow the pattern and instructions, you will wind up with a garment that greatly resembles a shirt. but it's still very much a learning process.  How does you machine handle this fabric or that.  Will it run a simple seam at the same even pace as a felled seam?  How does this fabric work with that interfacing?  How do you turn those collar points right side out?

I'm learning, slowly & steadily, garment by garment, seam by felled seam, I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment