Monday, March 18, 2013

Running Shoes vs. Laziness

I bought a new pair of running shoes over the weekend.


I am closing in on 40 years and my most recent physical went just fine.  However, some of the bad numbers are starting to creep upwards, while a couple of the good numbers are dwindling downwards.

I have done a bit of running on and off over the past few years and to be honest, the best I have felt physically in the past few years was just after completing my first 5K race.  My waistline was slimmer.  My energy was up.  My overall self image was good.

My problem is that I have a tendency to be habitually lazy.  I know this to be true.  I know that I can overcome this laziness when I want to; but in being habitually lazy, I don't always want to.

One way I have found to motivate myself is with pre-paid goals.  In this case, I have already signed up to run a 10K next month and even if I friggin limp & crawl across the finish line, I will finish.  Immediately after that I am going to sign up and start prepping for a half-marathon in October.  That will cost me a small chunk of cash to sign up as well as upgrading my drivers license to accommodate the international aspect of the run.

I am going to make certain that these running shoes will not be a fashion accessory   They are a tool to aid in my fitness quest.  I will earn a medal for my 10K and I will run across the Ambassador Bridge and earn a medal for completing a half-marathon.

These are my fitness goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment